The Health Archives and Records Group exists to support the work of archivists and records managers working with collections relating to medicine and health. The Group focuses on networking and support around standards, but also highlights issues of pressing importance to the sector, including changes to the law and frequent NHS reorganisations, which often generate new records.
Aims of HARG
- facilitate the networking, collaborating and sharing of information between those responsible for health records and archives
- raise the profile of records and archival issues within the health sector
- contribute to the development of standards and best practice
- promote best practice in the creation and management of records documenting the work of organisations and individuals in the health sector, throughout their lifecycle
- promote the use and value of health archives both within and outside the health sector
- liaise and collaborate with related professional bodies on issues of shared concern.
- regular liaison and meetings with other bodies with mutual concerns and interests, such as The National Archives
- helping people who have enquiries connected with health archives and records
- meeting two times a year to enable members to discuss issues of concern and interest and to network
- maintaining an e-mail distribution list to provide members with advance notice of meetings and news of activities and events of interest.
Membership of HARG is free and involves no formal commitment. Members come from a wide range of backgrounds and organisations; membership is not restricted to archivists, and welcome any person interested in health records. If you are interested in joining HARG, please send an email to our administrators, firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will add you as a member. Alternatively, you can subscribe to our JISCMAIL group, HEALTH-ARCHIVES-RECORDS-GROUP.
Benefits of membership
- HARG listserv (HEALTH-ARCHIVES-RECORDS-GROUP), provides relevant information, help and the latest news. This is specific to health archives and records, and therefore you would not receive lots of emails to fill your inbox!
- Networking, sharing information and discussion at HARG general meetings, which are held two times a year at a variety of locations (including outside London). All members are encouraged to attend the meetings. If you think you might be interested in joining and would to attend a meeting to learn more about the Group then you can do so.
- Presentations given by guest speakers at HARG general meetings.
- Opportunity to host future meetings, place blog posts and news articles on the group website.