The Borthwick Institute are pleased to announce that The Retreat hospital archive has been digitised (with funding from the Wellcome Collection) and is now available online.
The Retreat Archive relates to the one of the most important institutions in the care and treatment of mental health patients. The Retreat in York was founded by the Society of Friends and opened in 1796. The archive itself is unusually complete and includes administrative, financial, staff, estate and patient records and consists of bound volumes, loose papers, maps, photographs, artefacts from the museum and a small number of paintings.
Over 650,000 digital images have been captured by the project team – amounting to about 80% of the catalogued archive (note that material relating to patients dating from 1920 to the present day was excluded from the digitisation project).
There is a wealth of material in the archive that can be used for research. To get a flavour of some of the interesting things that staff have encountered whilst working on the project read some of our blog posts
Or dive into The Retreat catalogue
and follow the links that are available to the digital content hosted by the Wellcome Collection.
The next HARG AGM will be held at the Lifelong Learning suite, Borthwick Institute for Archives at the University of York, Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, 11am-4pm.
1. 10.30-11:00: Tea and coffee served.
2. 11:00: Welcome and introductions
3. 11:05: Minutes and matters arising relating to last meeting
4. 11:10: HARG Committee report (Administration, website)
5. 11.20: HARG Projects (Sensitivity workshop/GDPR implementation/Plans for 2018)
6. 11.50: National Archives health sector update
7. 12:10: Open forum/sector and partner news
8. 12.30: Lunch
9. 14.00: ‘Digitisation. Why? How?’, Chris Webb, Keeper of Archives, Borthwick Archives
10. 14.30: ‘’The British Red Cross and the launch of the NHS’, Dr Rosemary Wall, University of Hull
11. 15.00: Questions for speakers, followed by tea and coffee
12. 15.30: Optional tour of the Archives/time to see exhibitions
The meeting is open to all, there are a few spaces to still available. Please contact me if you
would wish to attend or have any other queries (email@example.com).